Greater Manchester encompasses a population of 2.8 million and is the 2nd most populous built-up conurbation in the United Kingdom (UK Census, 2011). It comprises ten metropolitan boroughs: Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan, and the cities of Manchester and Salford.
Greater Manchester is a major UK recruitment market and, is also hugely competitive. In addition to the main UK recruitment players, there's a hugely vibrant regional recruitment market so the opportunities for talented recruiters to develop their careers are numerous.
The Greater Manchester economy generates over £56 billion of gross value added (GVA) on an annual basis, outperforming the North East, West Yorkshire, Merseyside, and accounting for nearly 40% of GVA in the entire North West of England.
Some key facts include:
- c.1.4 million people work in Greater Manchester in around 105,000 businesses.
- Around 110,000 additional jobs are forecast within Greater Manchester for the period 2014–24 by the Greater Manchester Economic Forecasting Model (GMFM).
- With annual growth forecasts of 2.8% up to 2024 (GMFM), it's a vibrant, growing economy and a fantastic place to develop your recruitment career. In terms of key employment sectors, a recent study by Visit Manchester shows;
- Business, Financial & Professional Services: Outside of London,
Greater Manchester is the UK’s 2nd biggest centre for this sector employing 324,000 people and generating £16.2 billion of GVA annually.
- Health & Social Care' employs 177,000 people generating annual GVA of £4.2 billion.
- Creative & Digital: Greater Manchester has the largest creative and digital clusters in the UK, employing 63,500 people and generating GVA of £3.1 billion each year.
- Manufacturing as a whole employs nearly one-in-ten residents in Greater Manchester (123,000). Around 54,000 people are working in advanced manufacturing, which generates £3.9 billion of GVA every year.
Recruitment to Recruitment Jobs in Manchester
Sport, Tourism and Hospitality sectors are other major employment sectors across the region and all are showing strong employment growth trends.
For more information on our recruitment vacancies in the Greater Manchester area, or just go to our contact page and give us a call or drop an email.